Thursday, March 1, 2012

Practice What You Preach!

I practice what I preach, or so I thought. I am a firm believer in regular purging. I take pride in the fact that I control my clutter. I created a habit of clearing and purging my home on a regular basis. As I bring something new into my home, I take something out.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a minimalist, but the clutter in my home is under control. As I write this sentence I am remembering that old phrase “things that make you go hmmm”.

My “awakening” occurred recently when a family member moved to her very first apartment. I remember how exciting it is to move to your new home but also how expensive and difficult it is to stock your new place with essential items. Wanting to help out I decided to pass on one or two items that I do not use. In the back of my mind, I thought it would be a difficult task as I am not a collector.

I started in the kitchen. I searched my kitchen drawers, cabinets and pantry. Here and there I discovered extra cups, glasses, serving utensils, extra oven mitts and even cans of food that are in the cupboard-just in case items. The small bag I had on hand soon had to be replaced with a larger, sturdier bag.

Wow! Did I just find all these extra things in MY kitchen? I felt good about passing these items on, but started to question myself and my own ability to purge.

Of course, I had to continue the process; so I found myself in my linen closet repeating the process. Two large (very large) bags later I completed my task.

I have to admit, I felt lighter. Something I visually witness with my clients when they are ready to purge. Just imagine the feeling of space and organization whenever you open your cupboard or storage area.

I enjoyed the learning experience. I was reminded just how easy it is to lose control over the “stuff” in your home. How quickly one or two items become many and the wonderful feeling that engulfs you have when you finally release your clutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment